Upgrade to Ubuntu 13.04

Saturday, I decided to upgrade to Ubuntu 13.04.

I used Ubuntu 12.04 LTS for a long time (since the release date). So the first step was to upgrade to Ubuntu 12.10: no problem with this upgrade, it works straight forward.

After that I upgraded to 13.04, and I had the following issues.

Upgrade to AMD Catalyst 13.4 driver

Ubuntu 13.04 uses Linux kernel 3.8.0. As I used the AMD Catalyst driver for my Radeon GPU, I had to recompile the kernel module. I first tried AMD Catalyst 13.1 driver but it doesn’t work, as the kernel headers structure has changed (for instance the version.h header has changed).
Fortunately, the AMD Catalyst driver 13.4 supports Linux kernel 3.8.0, so I upgraded to this version.

Downgrade Intel video driver

Unfortunately, even using AMD Catalyst 13.4 driver, X started in low graphics mode or on the Intel GPU, not on the Radeon one.

When I forced the usage of the Radeon GPU (using amdconfig --px-dgpu), X didn’t start at all. The X log file showed me an error with the following message:


(EE) fglrx(0): [intel] Failed to allocate video resources for front buffer 1366x768 at depth

It sounded weird to me, as the Intel GPU should not be used at all in Discrete GPU (dgpu) mode.

After digging, I found that the issue was in the Intel xorg video driver that “intercept” all signals to the Intel GPU.

As it worked before (with Ubuntu 12.10), I decided to downgrade the Intel video driver to 2.20.2. I downloaded the deb pkg from launchpad and install:


dpkg -i xserver-xorg-video-intel_2.20.2-1ubuntu1_amd64.deb

Now, I have my two GPU units working fine.

Reset Unity environment

As I came from Ubuntu 12.04, when I logon Unity, it looks completly empty: no launcher, no panel bar, nothing. I was able to create a terminal (with CTRL-ALT-t), and launch applications from this terminal, but no window decoration as well.

I decided to completly reset the Unity environment for my user, using:


dconf reset -f /org/compiz/
unity --reset-icons

Now, my Unity desktop is back to normal (I just had to reconfigure it, but it’s not a big deal ;)).

I installed unity-tweak-tool to be able to change the fonts size. In order to use a wallpaper, you have to allow icons on the desktop (in the settings).

Downgrade libQtWebKit for Skype crash

The last thing that I fixed is a crash of Skype 4.1.

When I launched Skype 4.1, it crashed with a Segmentation Fault.

Again, as it worked with Ubuntu 12.10, I take a look on the changes. I found that libQt4WebKit has been upgraded:


aptitude show libQtWebKit4

which provides:


ls -l /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/|grep -i libQtWeb
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 35230640 Mar 28 18:57 libQtWebKit.so.4.10.0

To avoid “unmet dependencies”, I took the previous deb (2.2.1) that I uncompress in a folder:


dpkg -x libqtwebkit4_2.2.1-4ubuntu1_i386.deb /tmp

I updated the lib folder like this:


jbonofre@vostro:~$ ls -l /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/|grep -i libqtwe
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 Apr 28 08:03 libQtWebKit.so.4 -> libQtWebKit.so.4.9.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 Apr 28 08:03 libQtWebKit.so.4.10 -> libQtWebKit.so.4.9.0
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 35230640 Mar 28 18:57 libQtWebKit.so.4.10.0
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 24258276 Apr 28 08:02 libQtWebKit.so.4.9.0

Now, Skype 4.1 works like a charm 😉

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quarkus and "meta" extension

Getting started with Apache Karaf Minho

Apache Karaf Minho and OpenTelemetry