Apache Karaf 2.3.0 released !
Waiting for Karaf 3.0.0, we worked hard in the Karaf team to provide Apache Karaf 2.3.0.
The Karaf 2.2.x branch is now only in maintenance mode: it means that no new features will be implemented in this branch, only major bug fixes.
The new “stable” branch is now Karaf 2.3.x which is a perfect transition branch between Karaf 2.2.x (heavely used) and the future Karaf 3.x (which should arrive very soon).
What’s new in this 2.3.0 release:
* OSGi r4.3: Karaf 2.2.x branch was powered by OSGi frameworks implementing OSGi r4.2 norm. Karaf 2.3.0 is now powered by the new OSGi r4.3 framework (Apache Felix 4.0.3 and Equinox 3.8.x), for both OSGi core and compendium. It provides new features like weaving, etc.
* Aries Blueprint 1.0.x: Karaf 2.3.0 uses the new Aries Blueprint version at different level (core, JMX, etc).
* Update to ASM 4.0: in order to work with Aries proxies, we updated to new ASM bundle. We also provided configuration that allows you to enable/disable weaving.
* OSGi Regions and SCR support: Karaf 2.3.0 provides both Regions and SCR support.
* JMX improvement: the previous MBeanRegistrer from Karaf 2.2.x has been removed to be replaced by Aries JMX. It allows an easier way to integrate MBeans by registering OSGi services. The MBeans have been improved to provide new operations and options corresponding with what you can do using the shell commands.
* Complete itest framework: Karaf 2.3.0 provides a new tool: Karaf exam. This tool provides a framework to very easily implements integration tests. It’s able to download and bootstrap a Karaf version on which you can run your commands, deploy your features and bundles, etc. It allows you to run a complete integration tests chain from Maven.
* Dependencies upgrade: a lot of dependencies have been updated. Karaf 2.3.0 uses Pax Logging 1.7.0 including bug fixes and SLF4J 1.7.1 support, new Pax Web and Jetty version for the web container, new JLine, SSHD and Mina versions which especially fix weird behavior on Windows for certain keys, etc.
* KAR improvements: if Karaf 3.x will provide a lot of enhancements around the KAR files, Karaf 2.3.0 already provides fixes in the KAR lifecycle.
* JAAS commands improvements: the jaas:* commands have been enhanced to allow you a fine-grained management of the realms and login modules.
You can find the Karaf 2.3.0 content details on the Release Notes.
The Karaf team is proud to provide this release to you. We hope you will enjoy it !